In the 2018 Budget | National Assembly amended passed into law by the President of the Republic of Nigeria yesterday 20th June, 2018. It was observed that the National Assembly has slashed the proposed budget of the presidency. Early May, there was an increase in the proposed Budget of the federation from N8.6 trillion to N9.12 trillion by the national assembly.
The president Submitted the Budget to the National Assembly on November 7, 2017 and Six after, they passed the 2018 Budget. There was an up-roar on the delay for the passage of the 2018 Budget but according to the Vanguard Newspaper and DailyPost, a Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Ita Enang defended the up-roar saying that It said the move was due to the need to accommodate the upward swing in the price of crude oil in the international market after the budget was tabled before the National Assembly and thereafter the hike from N8.6 trillion to N9.12 trillion.
Breakdown of National 2018 Budgets
The president in his speach after signing the 2018 Budget | National Assembly amended into law said that he wasn’t happy signing the Budget. vetting his anoyance in the slashes of the National Assembly on his proposal despite the Increase in Figure. They slashed the under listed proposals:
- The allocation to Maritime University, Delta State from N5b to N3.4b
- Slashed allocation to Enugu Airport Terminal Building from N2b to N500m
- Pension allocation Slashed by N5b
- Slashed Housing by N8.7b
- Unity School security Slashed by N3b
- Slashed allocation to Health by N7.45b
- SUN building security Slashed from N4b to N100m
Increased Proposals of the 2018 Budget | National Assembly
Among the increased proposals of the National Assembly are:
- The National Assembly RAISED theirs from N125b to 139.5b
- The Ministry of Power, Works and Housing got the highest vote of N714.6bn for recurrent against N555.88bn.
- Ministry of Education N541.2bn against N496.9bn proposed by the President.